The professional standards and accreditation function is responsible for overseeing the department’s adherence to accreditation standards. This function maintains proofs of standard compliance and performs staff inspections to assess the effectiveness of departmental processes.
The planning and research function is responsible for providing policy and planning support to the chief of police and for researching new techniques to improve law enforcement service delivery. This includes development of strategic plans, operational plans, and policies and procedures.
The Commission on Accreditation for Law Enforcement Agencies, Inc., (CALEA®) was created in 1979 as a credentialing authority through the joint efforts of law enforcement’s major executive associations. The purpose of CALEA’s Accreditation Programs is to improve the delivery of public safety services, primarily by:
- Maintaining a body of standards
- Developed by public safety practitioners
- Covering a wide range of up-to-date public safety initiatives
- Establishing and administering an accreditation process
- Recognizing professional excellence
According to CALEA, the Flagship designation represents “an extraordinary example of excellence in an accredited law enforcement agency.” UAPD is one of only seven university law enforcement agencies ever to receive the CALEA Flagship designation.
This accreditation program provides law enforcement agencies an opportunity to voluntarily demonstrate that they meet an established set of professional standards which:
- Requires an agency to develop a comprehensive, well thought out, uniform set of written directives. This is one of the most successful methods for reaching administrative and operational goals, while also providing direction to personnel.
- Provide the necessary reports and analyses a CEO needs to make fact-based, informed management decisions.
- Require a preparedness program be put in place – so an agency is ready to address natural or man-made critical incidents.
- Are a means for developing or improving upon an agency’s relationship with the community.
- Strengthen an agency’s accountability, both within the agency and the community, through a continuum of standards that clearly define authority, performance, and responsibilities.
- Can limit an agency’s liability and risk exposure because it demonstrates that internationally recognized standards for law enforcement have been met, as verified by a team of independent outside CALEA-trained assessors.
- Facilitates an agency’s pursuit of professional excellence.